Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Keep on Keeping On

Today was rough. At work, I felt like I had people coming at me from all directions. I had three projects asking for attention and didn't have enough of it to focus on even one. I was so happy to get done with work only to realize that as soon as I got home I had to go directly to the kitchen to cook.

Unfortunately this realization always puts me in the most foul of moods. And my poor husband has to bear the brunt of my frustration. After about 20 minutes of getting things started I calm down and apologize profusely. He's always such a sport.

Having to come home after working long days and travelling on a long commute, the idea of cooking is probably the last thing anyone wants to do. It's certainly not the first thing on my list of ideal things to do when I get home. The big comfy L-couch in our living room is far more inviting.

The fact is, I have to cook when I get home at night. Especially on nights like tonight when everyone is home and  the recipe I was making would take an hour to bake, not to mention the prep time. These are nights that I would much rather go out to the store and buy something quick and easy. Or even go through a drive through for some burgers and fries.

Once I made dinner though, and it was in the oven, I was able to relax. That part was nice. And the benefit of not going out for the quick and easy meal is that we had plenty of food for us all. It was extremely healthy and tasted amazing!

Quick fixes aren't always the answer. I leave the house at 6am and don't usually get home until 5p or 5:30. I go right to the kitchen and get dinner started so that everyone (including a usually very hungry me) can eat as soon as possible. This is vital to not only my health and well-being, but those that I care for as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment