Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Breifly Medicated

Yesterday I went to my doctor to discuss my newly diagnosed Diabetes. And as I expected, she put me on Metformin immediately. Her reasoning is that I will be going through surgery in about 2 weeks. And diabetics are at a higher risk for infection and complications, so she wanted to minimize the risks by ensuring that my blood sugar will stay in the acceptable range.

The upside though? After looking over the 7 days of meals that I'd recorded and brought into her she said she was really happy with my progress. She also said that with more weight loss (according to their scale I'd lost 11 pounds since January 3rd!) and my continuance on this diet plan, I may be pulled off the meds at our next visit.

That, my friends, is super extra wonderful amazing news. If I can go just 2 months on the meds and then jump back off of them? I will be absolutely elated. Being on meds for the rest of my life is just not something that I foresee for myself. If that means that I need to pay attention to every gram of carbohydrates that crosses my lips for the rest of my days, so be it! I would much rather take that route than the pharmaceutical one.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my April appointment. It gives me something to look forward to... and past the surgery coming up in about 2 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. totally stoked that it's for such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that it ends up being like this. I am going to continue on the diet regimen I am on and keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete