- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp dark chocolate chips or chunks
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray (paper or foil liners may be added before spraying).
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the first six ingredients (banana through vanilla extract). Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and stir. Make a well in the center and add the banana mixture. Using a large spoon or spatula, stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Chop the chocolate (by hand or in a food processor) and add to the batter. Stir until well-combined.
4. Spoon the batter into prepared muffin tins, filling each cup two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack
Note: I changed this recipe a little bit. It initially called for a half cup of Splenda, but as Splenda contains Maltodextrin which can possible spike blood sugar, I omitted it. The muffins are no worse for it either. The bananas are plenty sweet enough to make them really tasty. The chocolate helps as well. I used 65% dark chocolate, and that is reflected in the calories here.