Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Listening Closely

I have figured out something really interesting now that I am watching my food intake as closely as I am. My body tells me when something is wrong. Very loudly and very clear!

Today I had my first C# class and was terribly excited about learning something new. However, my class ran through what is normally my morning snack time. I figured, "Hey, it's just a snack. I had a hearty breakfast, I should be fine until 11, when this is over." Little did I know then how completely wrong I was.

About 9:30 (an hour after my "normal" morning snack) I started to get really sleepy. I could not stop yawning for the life of me. Which of course made me feel badly because I wasn't bored by the topic... I was actually really thrilled to be learning something and actually applying it on the computer in front of me!

As it got closer to 10:30 not only was I yawning, but my head was pounding and I was freezing cold. When I finally got up at 11, all of that still held true on top of a new level of fuzzy-headed blurry-sightedness that was going on. My body was screaming at me to get some food into it, pronto!

I don't know if this is something specific to diabetics, or if everyone is like this when their blood sugar dips, or when they are hungry and make a decision not to eat. But it's the first time I have actually paid attention to what I was being told. I think if you are really watching what you are putting into your body, these signs are more apparent.

I know that I have felt all of this in the past, but I've always chalked it up to having a heavy workout the night before, not drinking enough water, not getting enough sleep, or simply being a thin-blooded Floridian in Seattle. But all along it was my blood sugar bottoming out.

Listen to what your body is telling you. It sends far more signals than you'd initially believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment