- 2 cups bran cereal*
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk**
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin (or canned pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2. In a very large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, brown sugar, pumpkin and oil. Gradually fold in bran mixture until well combined. Bake immediately or cover and refridgerate for up to 1 week.
3. Scoop about 1/3 cup batter per muffin into prepared muffin cups.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch and a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to cool completely.
*I put the bran cereal in a food processor to make it a little more fine. Came out great!
**To make sour milk: Combine 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar per 1 cup milk
Yields 24 Muffins
Note: I omitted the raisins and sesame seeds from the muffins and they came out fine. Also, I measured out 1/3 cup per muffin and only ended up making 19 muffins instead of the 24 that the recipe claims to yield. Also, these taste wonderful with just a bit of cream cheese.