Saturday, January 15, 2011

And the Battle Rages On

Today was my first weigh-in and measure day since starting P90X on January 1st. It was, quite literally, like Christmas. I woke up at 5am and talked myself into going back to sleep. Then I woke up at 6:45 and couldn't stay asleep any longer. I slipped my house-dress on and went to the bathroom.

When I stepped on that scale my excitement level was that of Birthday Party levels! Then the numbers started. I was pissed. What do you mean I GAINED a half a pound? SERIOUSLY? Yes. Half a pound gained in 2 weeks of having my ass handed to me by Tony Horton? Needless to say, my balloon deflated pretty damned fast. But once I looked at my numbers and saw that I'd actually lost 1.5 pounds of fat and gained 2 entire pounds of muscle... the disappointment wasn't nearly as bitter.

And then I took my blood sugar. Down to 106 from the 196 just a week and a half before, and the 206 from the 3rd of January. That is wonderful. That means that even if I am diabetic (which is a possibility, had blood work today) I should be able to control it with diet. Okay, not so bad.

After that, I took my measurements. My hips went down 2 whole inches in 2 weeks! That is amazing. I lost a few inches elsewhere too, but nothing as significant as those 2. So, on a whim I tried on a pair of 16W jeans of my roommate's. And I could get them on! And they ZIPPED! Well... they did zip. But it was that "hey, I can't breathe at all if I move" kind of zipped. But they got on! It's probably been 16-18 years since I have been even close to a 16. I can't wait until I can actually wear them in public!

Needless to say, the scale and I don't get along very well. This is why it's hidden out of sight for two weeks at a time and only taken out on every other Saturday. I'm glad I've broken the every day weigh-in habit, because I don't think I would be able to focus on the workouts as intensely knowing that my weight is fluctuating so very much.

So if you are ONLY weighing in? Stoppit! Seriously. Take your measurements. Go to Goodwill and buy a pair of jeans one size smaller than you are now. Try them on once and a while to see what your progress is. Weigh in every other week... or once a month even. Don't stress about your weight as much as your health and how you feel. Those are the most important things, hold onto them.

No comments:

Post a Comment