Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Taking Control

Given the amount of medical information that has been thrown at me in the past weeks, I have been less than enthusiastic about working out. I do, however, plan to get back to it after my surgery next month. I have a cyst the size of a grapefruit (no lie, 9.5cm) on my left ovary that is getting removed on February 17th. Between that and trying to eat properly to control my blood sugar, working out has fallen to the wayside.

My life, recently, has felt like this spiral of one heartbreaking bit of news after the other. I'm not entirely sure which to be more afraid of, outpatient surgery or having Diabetes. The news of both has brought me down to my knees, emotionally, and I'm finding it harder and harder to get back to my feet.

However, there is one thing I will say that has helped me dramatically. Taking control of something. Right now it's dinner and weekend meals. My roommates have a ton of Diabetic Recipe books and I've found a website (DLife) that has a slew of awesome recipes that are Diabetic friendly.

This small inkling of control has helped me to focus my worry-centric energy on something else. It allows me to eat delicious foods so that I don't miss out on anything. And it helps my family and my roommates. Everyone is eating healthier and more rounded meals now. It's a win-win for everyone really. Not to mention I'm finally learning how to cook! (Only took 30 years!)

When something is spinning out of control in life finding just one thing to latch onto that is within your power to manipulate is amazing. I never thought that cooking meals would be my salvation to a more calm state of mind.

I am probably going to start posting recipes with pictures here so that I can refer back to them when need be, and so that anyone reading can use the recipes as well if they'd like. So far everything I've tried has been truly tasty. I am excited for anyone who reads my blog to try them and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment