Sunday, January 23, 2011

Between Denial and Acceptance

Being newly diagnosed with Diabetes is scary. There is a laundry list of things I can't eat anymore. Or if I do eat them they are in such minimal quantities that it's almost not worth it. I have to watch my blood sugar for the rest of my life. That, I hope, will be a long long time.

Some days are good and I can joke about it. I can look forward to cooking and the challenge that I'm faced with. Other days aren't so good. Those are the days I spend in bathrooms sobbing uncontrollably.

There are fears that I will never get to the weight I want to be. That I will be stuck in this fat body forever. That I will never be able to enjoy food again. That I will go blind... or lose my toes... or... well, all the nightmarish things that come along with having Diabetes when it's out of control.

But what I will say is that I'm insanely lucky. One of my roommates is diabetic as well. He and his wife have 5 different books on controlling the disease and they are chock full of amazing recipes. Tonight's dinner was out of one of them and it was a huge success. Seriously delicious. I have them to help me through this because they've done it all before.

Also, another website that I pulled last night's dinner from is Diabetes Life (DLife). It was suggested to me by my nutritionist, and I think it's amazing. All you have to do is plug in an ingredient you want to use and it will pull out pages of recipes that use that one ingredient.

Today is a good day. Dinner was wonderful and I have muffins I made for tomorrow morning. Not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment